Family and Child Health Clinic
1454 W. Center Rd.
Essexville, MI 48732
In a modern 6,325 square foot, 15 exam room facility, Interns and Residents are given the opportunity to learn the full range of Family Practice and gain exposure to clinical situations encountered in private practice. The Family and Child Health Clinic incorporates the traditional aspects of Family Medicine training with the current advances in osteopathic principles and practice, as well as medical technology. Residents maintain active individual practices in the Family & Child Health Clinic. Residents gain experience with the following:
- Bladder catherization
- Laceration repair
- Skin biopsy
- Subungual hematoma evacuation
- Incision and drainage abscess
- Treatment of scars and keloids
- Flexible rhinolaryngoscopy
- Endometrial biopsy
- IUD insertion and removal
- Joint injections
- Treatment of condyloma acuminata
- Diaphragm fitting
- Flexible sigmoidoscopy
- Office treatment of hemorrhoids
- Joint and soft tissue aspiration
- Treatment of ingrown toenails
- On average 9,000 - 11,000 patient visits occur each year. Open access scheduling allows for more same day appointments.
- Each resident is required to fulfill a minimum of 312 ½ day sessions over the two resident years.
- A 1 attending to 4 trainee ratio is maintained to provide appropriate teaching mentorship for these patients.
- Patients present with a wide range of pathology and symptomatology.
- Emphasis on the business end of medicine is present as well. Topics such as coding, insurance, compliance, HIPAA, office staff relations - items essential for a successful family practice - are stressed.
- Interns spend 1/2 day per week seeing patients at the clinic.
- While clinic time is scheduled, interns and residents will visit the clinic more frequently to keep patients charts current, as in private practice.