Your doctor has referred you to McLaren Bay Region Sleep Disorder Center for a Sleep Study. This will be a regular sleep period at our Center, 1460 W. Center Rd, Suite 2, Essexville, MI. You will sleep in a specially-designed room, similar to a motel room, with a private bath and shower. We will monitor you while you sleep.
Click here if you want your bed partner to complete a complementary sleep questionnaire about their experience of your sleep. When they complete the questionnaire and click "SEND", it will be sent on our secure online site to our Sleep Center staff.
And now, for more information about your Sleep Study –
- Plan to stay at the Center for at least 10 hours from your scheduled arrival time (for example: 9 p.m. to 7 a.m. for night sleepers or 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. for day sleepers).
- Bring whatever you need to prepare for bed and for work, as well as all medications you are currently taking. We would prefer two-piece nightwear. You may also want to bring your own pillow for better sleeping comfort. Bring toiletries and a change of clothing so you can take a shower and prepare for work.
- It is important to know that the Center operates on a very precise schedule. We have limited bedrooms with a long waiting list and a specially-trained technologist scheduled to work with you. We ask that if you must change or cancel your test, you give us at least a 48-hour notice. You may be charged if you do not come for your study and we have not been notified. If you have a significant head cold within five days of your study, please contact us immediately.
- If you have any questions, please contact the Center at (989) 895-4825. You are welcome to visit the Center prior to your sleep study. LET US KNOW IF YOU HAVE ANY SPECIAL NEEDS.
- MSLT: If you are coming for this type of test, you must plan to be at the Center for 10-18 hours (your sleep time plus daytime testing). Please bring a book, craft or hobby to keep you busy and alert during the awake portion of your study . You may have a visitor if you wish.
- Avoid alcoholic beverages, tranquilizers or sedatives on the day of your study. If you use these routinely, please check with the Center for instructions.
- Do not drink coffee or beverages with caffeine after 5 p.m. on the day of your study.
- Try to maintain a usual daytime schedule. Avoid unusual physical exercise or meals. DO NOT take naps on the day of your study.
- Private bathrooms are available in each sleeping room.
- Before bed, a specially-trained technologist will apply several small, round, gold recording discs to your head with paste, and one disc will be taped beside each eye. Recording devices will be taped near your nose and mouth, chest, legs and/or arms, depending on the test ordered by the physician. This process is painless.
- You will be allowed to relax and prepare for sleep. You will be in bed by 11 p.m. unless otherwise indicated. The monitoring discs attached to you allow you to sleep in your normal comfortable sleep positions and do not greatly reduce your movement.
- An intercom is turned on in each room so you can call the technologist anytime during the night. If you need to use the bathroom, you can be unhooked to move to the bathroom.
- You will be served a continental-type breakfast in the morning. You are welcome to bring special foods.
- If you are scheduled for daytime nap studies, lunch will be available. You may bring something of your choice to eat or drink if you wish.
Finally, please call the Sleep Center with any questions – (989) 895-4825.