For therapeutic purposes, animals may become part of the Volunteer Services program at McLaren Northern Michigan. Animals are escorted through patient areas by their owner and must:
Interested in volunteering your pet for our Animal Therapy program?
- Be approved by the manager of Volunteer Services.
- Show proof of Therapy Dog International (TDI) current evaluation, www.tdi-dog.org and/or the American Kennel Club, Canine Good Citizen certification www.akc.org/events/cgc.
- Provide annual written documentation of the health status, shots, and disposition of animal from a licensed veterinarian.
- Be on a leash, in a cage, or held by the owner.
- Wear a photo volunteer name badge provided by the volunteer manager.
- Check with staff and/or patient in rooms to see if anyone is allergic to the animal being escorted.
- Follow all rules, policies, and procedures as identified for volunteers.
- Report hours of service by contacting the Volunteer Services office via email or by calling 231.487.4111.
Please complete the Animal Therapy Application and confidentiality, authorization, and release forms and email them to email@example.com or fax them to 231.487.3234 to the attention of Volunteer Services.