The McLaren Northern Michigan offers comprehensive Childbirth Education to help prepare you for pregnancy, childbirth, care of your newborn and those early parenting years. All classes are held in the Community Health Education Center.
To register or for more information, please call the Childbirth Educators at 231.487.4762. Registration Form (Please print, complete, and bring to first class.)
Childbirth Education Class Schedule - 2013
(This course is best if taken in the last three months of pregnancy.)
This class provides the keys to successful breastfeeding. Learn about the advantages of breastfeeding, as well as a step-by-step how-to, as well as how to know when your baby is getting enough. Participants will also have access to resources and support systems for returning to work and more. This is great class for anyone contemplating breastfeeding. Dads are welcome too!
(Choose a class that ends 2-3 weeks prior to your due date. Sign up early. Space is limited.)
- Normal labor, birth, and early postpartum
- Positioning, which will facilitate the normal progress of labor and birth
- Massage techniques to ease the pain of labor and to enhance relaxation
- Comfort measures such as hydrotherapy, the use of heat and cold, and pressure
- Relaxation skills including breathing strategies (skills which can be also used throughout life in times of stress)
- Labor support, both that of the partner and that of the professional (doula)
- Communication skills, both for the pregnant woman with her partner and for the pregnant woman with the other members of the healthcare team
- Problems that could occur during labor and birth and what the pregnant woman and her partner might need to know
- Information about anesthesia and medical procedures so that women can make informed choices about what is appropriate for their particular experience
- Early postpartum period
- Tour of the Obstetric Unit
Week 5-Adjusting to Parenthood
This class is designed to help parents anticipate the changes they will undergo following the birth of their baby. Special attention will be paid to the first few days and weeks at home. It will help to prepare for the physical and emotional changes you will face and arm you with insightful knowledge on how to best cope with these changes.
Week 6-Infant Care
This class will help you to learn about your newborn and become more knowledgeable and confident about how to care for this special new baby. It will discuss newborn care issues such as bathing, cord care, feeding, diapering, and how to assess your baby for jaundice. It will help you, as parents, to be even more prepared for your long-awaited arrival.
Fee: $50.00 for six-week program
This one-day class is a "condensed" version of the four-week Lamaze class.
Beverages and snacks are provided. Please plan to bring a lunch or purchase lunch from the Hospital cafeteria.
Note: It is suggested that participants also attend "Adjusting to Parenthood" and "Infant Care" classes. Please call for dates. (There is no charge for these classes.)
This six-week class will introduce participants to “Birthing from Within” and imagery techniques. These concepts will include interactive, creative expression using art, relaxation, and guided imagery. Birth Wisdom will help you to recognize your fears and beliefs about birth and facilitate self discovery. It promotes birth as a celebration. This class is perfect for those with no artistic ability.
- Guided imagery
- Breath awareness
- Sleep breathing
- Facial relaxation
- Understanding your beliefs about labor and birth
- Creating a space that will help you open in labor
- Confronting your fears about labor and birth
- Positioning for comfort and progress
- Back labor
- Tour of Hospital
Adjustment to Parenthood-Week 5
(See Childbirth Education above.)
Infant Care-Week 6
(See Childbirth Education above.)
Fee: $50 for six-week program
(Choose a class that ends 2-4 weeks before your due date.)
This one session class is for expectant parents who have already taken childbirth classes and want to refresh and expand their knowledge. This class covers:
- Comfort measures you and your labor partner can use
- Cesarean birth and other birth variations
- Breathing, relaxation, massage, and concentration techniques
- A birth video
Note: If, in addition to the Refresher Class, you wish to attend an Adjusting to Parenthood or Infant Care class, you may enroll in Week 5 or 6 of a Childbirth Education class series. Please call for dates. (There is no charge for these classes.)
(Best if taken in last 3 months of pregnancy.)
This one-session program is an exciting multi-media class for expectant parents and their children ages 2 to 7. Using a story, creative play, artwork and a video, we give your child an introduction to life with a sibling. A child's OB tour is included. Your child should bring a doll or teddy bear to class with them.