In January 1953, Dr. Donald L. Fraser, Dr. Leroy C. Johnson and Dr. Merton C. Worster met with hospital consultant Harry Whitlow for the purpose of converting their clinic into a fully functional hospital. The Auburn Osteopathic Clinic, located at 32 Auburn Ave. in Pontiac, was renovated and refurbished to include x-ray facilities, a laboratory, kitchen, offices and pharmacy. In just six months the first patient was admitted for surgery to the new McLaren Oakland.
So successful was this new hospital that two years later, these industrious physicians were able to expand the dream. The seven-story Pontiac Hotel was purchased in 1955, renovated, and in February 1956 was operating as a fully functional hospital. Still more expansion occurred. An emergency room was added and the medical education program developed. In November 1958 a dedication was held for the improved McLaren Oakland.
Osteopathic services were in demand. The growth continued. A three-story addition was added in May 1963.
- In 1975 a new emergency department, obstetrics, pediatrics, intensive care and critical care units emerged.
- In 1996 the new 10 story patient tower was dedicated. Its modern new structure changed not only the skyline of Pontiac, but also the way northern Oakland County viewed healthcare
- Today this once small clinic has grown into the full-fledged medical community known as McLaren Oakland.
- We are currently one of the largest osteopathic teaching hospitals in the United States.
- Over 300 physicians and more than 1200 support staff practice medicine here.
- Eight satellite facilities throughout north Oakland County bring health care closer to home.