Health libraryBack to health library
Make healthy bones a family affair
The bone disease osteoporosis primarily affects older adults. But prevention of it begins in childhood, when bones become dense and strong. These tips can help young and old alike have healthier bones.
5 bone-building tips
- Enjoy calcium every day. Good sources include low-fat and nonfat dairy products, leafy greens, and fortified foods.
- Get vitamin D. This is a must-have vitamin for the body to absorb calcium. Ask your doctor if you need to take a supplement.
- Eat a well-balanced diet. Make foods such as fish, fruits and vegetables a regular part of your menu.
- Exercise often. Go for weight-bearing activities like walking and muscle-strengthening exercises like lifting weights.
- Don't smoke. Smoking raises the risk of osteoporosis.
Sources: American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons; Bone Health & Osteoporosis Foundation; Office on Women’s Health
- Bone Health and Osteoporosis Foundation. "Bone Health and Vitamin D." https://www.bonehealthandosteoporosis.org/patients/treatment/calciumvitamin-d/.
- Bone Health and Osteoporosis Foundation. "Exercise/Safe Movement." https://www.bonehealthandosteoporosis.org/patients/treatment/exercisesafe-movement/.
- Bone Health and Osteoporosis Foundation. "Food and Your Bones - Osteoporosis Nutrition Guidelines." https://www.bonehealthandosteoporosis.org/patients/treatment/nutrition/.
- Office on Women's Health. "Osteoporosis." https://www.womenshealth.gov/a-z-topics/osteoporosis.
- OrthoInfo. "Calcium, Nutrition, and Bone Health." https://orthoinfo.aaos.org/en/staying-healthy/calcium-nutrition-and-bone-health/.
- OrthoInfo. Female Athlete Triad: Problems Caused by Extreme Exercise and Dieting. https://orthoinfo.aaos.org/en/diseases--conditions/female-athlete-triad-problems-caused-by-extreme-exercise-and-dieting.
- OrthoInfo. "Osteoporosis Prevention Starts Early." https://orthoinfo.aaos.org/en/staying-healthy/osteoporosis-prevention-starts-early.
- National Institutes of Health. "Juvenile Osteoporosis." https://www.bones.nih.gov/health-info/bone/bone-health/juvenile/juvenile-osteoporosisOsteoporosis | NIH Osteoporosis and Related Bone Diseases National Resource Center.
- National Institutes of Health. "Vitamin D." https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/VitaminD-Consumer/.