Whether you've had a heart attack or another type of heart-related issue, cardiac rehabilitation at Indiana Regional Medical Center (IRMC) can help you safely resume an active lifestyle.
Find out more about how this special program can give you peace of mind and improve your life.
Who needs cardiac rehab?
Cardiac rehab helps people who have heart conditions. This includes people who have had a heart attack, those who have coronary artery disease or heart failure, and people who have recently had a heart procedure or surgery.
Cardiac rehab can have many benefits. For example, it can:
- Improve your fitness level. Being in better shape helps you do more of what you want and need to do.
- Reduce your risk for future heart problems. It may even help you live longer.
- Reduce angina (chest pain) symptoms.
- Help you become heart smart. We'll help you learn to make heart-healthy changes, like eating right and quitting smoking.
- Give you a lot of emotional support. We know that living with heart disease can be stressful and challenging.
- Give you tools and knowledge to exercise at home. It is our hope that you will continue your journey after your cardiac rehab program ends. To help, we offer cardiac rehab participants a reduced fee for continuing their own exercise program at our S&T Wellness Center.
Our outpatient cardiac rehab program
IRMC's cardiac rehab program is provided on the main floor of our hospital. It combines heart-healthy education with support and exercise that will help you gradually build up your stamina and strength.
The program is run by a friendly, caring team that includes an exercise physiologist and a registered nurse. A cardiologist is always in the building in case you need their care at any point during rehab.
Working with our team is like having your own personal trainer to teach you and root for you. Each team member really cares about our rehab patients and they develop great relationships. It's not uncommon to have patients call us after they've finished the program just to tell us how they're doing.
We will set up an exercise program for you that's tailored to your needs, abilities and goals. You'll exercise in our gym, which is equipped with everything you need to exercise, including treadmills, elliptical machines and stationary bikes.
And, of course, we'll be there while you exercise and will closely monitor your heart and vital signs to ensure that you are safe.
Ask your doctor about cardiac rehab
You will need a referral from your doctor to participate in cardiac rehab.
The sessions are one hour long, three days a week. Depending on insurance coverage, many people attend rehab for a period of 12 weeks. (Most insurance plans cover the cost of cardiac rehab, though the number of covered sessions varies.)
To learn more about our cardiac rehab services, please call 724.357.7107.