Indiana Regional Medical Center's (IRMC) palliative care program maximizes the quality of life for patients, regardless of life expectancy. We help manage medical symptoms associated with a terminal diagnosis or incurable illness. Palliative care is often misunderstood or mistaken for end-of-life care but, in fact, it can help a patient at any stage of illness and life.
Palliative care is medical care designed to support any other treatment patients receive by helping them live comfortably throughout their illness.
- Pain management.
- Symptom management, including:
- Shortness of breath.
- Nausea and vomiting.
- Bowel blockage.
- Delirium and confusion.
- Nutritional issues.
- Facilitation of patient/family understanding.
- Family and patient support in dealing with end-of-life issues.
- Management of complications of advanced disease.
- Spiritual counseling.
- Bereavement support.
- Hospice care.
- Discharge planning.
- Assistance with advance directives.